Jul 26, 2011

Buttered Radishes with Sea Salt

Maybe radishes deserve a little more respect than just hanging out on a relish tray, even dolled up as roses.

Today's garden surveillance revealed radishes just about ready to pick. Understand, I grow them for my husband.  Ordinarily I would not be especially interested in this radish harvest, or any other,  since I don't  like radishes. Not white icicle, not red, not daikon.    Just don't like the peppery taste. Don't try to convert me, this is a lifelong decision.     Raw, at least.

But this summer I'm  enjoying them in a new --and entirely unexpected way I discovered over the winter....... cooked!

It's true that at first I just thought of cooked radishes as a different   way to serve them....to my husband.
He thought they were great.   But I wasn't the least bit tempted to try them even when he mused that they don't  really taste like radishes at all,  and I might  like them.      Nuh-uh.  No thanks,   Not tempted  a bit;  that's how much I dislike radishes. 

Yet, as I was cleaning up after dinner, to my own surprise  I tried a small piece  and  thought it was quite......interesting.....and   tasty.       And not  a bit radish-y.     So I ate all  the pieces that were left.  And enjoyed them.  Imagine that.

You'd be able to identify them of course, if I served them to you. They look like radishes!   But what about blindfolded? I'd say  there'd be no  chance  of guessing what you were eating.  I have no particular  veg to compare the taste to so I'll let you  decide  if their flavor is  totally unique, or whether they remind you of   another garden taste.     I think I'll  serve them to guests sometime as a  good conversation-piece side dish.    "Cooked radishes?  Really?!"

Ready to give it a shot? 
Quarter  or halve red radishes, depending on their size, and saute  5 minutes in a little butter - let them begin to brown a bit.......sprinkle with coarse salt   or   sea salt,  and munch  happily away!  

Really.