Jan 5, 2008

Lime -Coconut Coolers

Whatever possessed me to make these cookies the first time, I  no longer recall.  Since  I seldom look  twice at cookies without chocolate,  I can only speculate now that manifest destiny, or the hand of the Fabulous Cookie Fairy compelled me to  overlook  my chocolate obsession for a few moments.   I also have to admit that I have become a major fan of Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix.  Bakers everywhere will  protest that their  from-scratch cookie is  better but I refuse to believe it, and the ease of  using the mix has converted me.  

   But, I digress!  This  soft, coconut-lime chewy sugar  cookie was a winner in Betty's cookie mix recipe contest many moons ago  and is simply lime-a-licious.  The coconut and lime are both subtle and you'll get a lot of questions about the  mystery ingredients.  Now and then I add a tiny drop of green food coloring to help identify the  lime flavor, or use a teeny drop of  neon-green food coloring to  tint the coconut ( ahead of time)  a pale lime green. Just be very cautious not to end up with green cookies.
Preheat oven to 350.  In a large bowl stir together a 17-oz  pouch  of BC sugar cookie mix, 1/2 c. coconut, 1 TB grated lime zest ( about 1 lime), 3 TB lime juice ( you can use real lime juice, like Joe and Nellie's Key lime juice,* but  since you have the  limes right there, fresh is obviously best), 1 egg, and  6 TB butter or margarine, melted.  Mix til a soft dough forms.  Drop dough by  heaping TB's  onto ungreased cookie sheets, at least 2" apart.  Bake 9-13 minutes, until the edges only are a light golden brown...dont let them  brown at all;  you want a  nice white cookie.  Cool for 1 minute on the pan, then remove to cool completely.   Later, sift  powdered sugar  over the cookies. I usually get about 28 cookies per pouch. If you freeze them, powder  them both  when baked and again after thawing, if needed.   
 
* don't, please, use the sweet bottled lime juice that's used in mixed drinks.