Dec 16, 2007

Creamy Plantation Supper

I'm not sure that they had cream cheese back in the actual " plantation" days!   I grew up in a southern plantation house   in the 1950's,  but my mom didn't make many casseroles, something I've managed to overcompensate for as  an adult.   Oh, if casseroles weren't generally  so  full of carbs...... sigh.  This one is rich, creamy, and cream-cheesy... I clipped this out of a magazine   45 years ago  and  still  love it. Of course,  that was pre  carb-awareness,  so if I  now indulge once a year it's a memorable event.

Brown 1 lb ground beef with 1/2 c chopped onion, cook til onion is tender and beef is done. Stir in 3/4 c milk, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, and 8 oz cream cheese, cubed. Stir til well blended. The original recipe adds a drained can of corn and 1/4 c pimiento, chopped. I'm not sure I ever used either of them but both would add some color, if you're so inclined.    I have added   sautéed fresh mushrooms, or   drained canned mushrooms in a pinch.     Stir in  8 oz.  big wide noodles, cooked .  I have broken up lasagna noodles into  pieces when  it was all I had on hand.   Mafaldi,  the  rippled-edge pasta that looks like mini lasagna noodles would be perfect, and now that  pappardelle noodles are  back in vogue  and can be found  everywhere, it  would be good too....Add 1 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper.  Stir till coated. Serves 4-6.