Dec 29, 2007

Rose Lake Favorite Walleye

A recipe from my uncle Ed Bowers, from his cottage on Rose Lake in Minnesota, many years ago. My dad Doug and his brothers Jack and Ed helped my grandfather build several of their cottages in the Vergas- Detroit Lakes area and  when I was a baby my dad built and owned one called  Thunderbird Lodge.   http://www.minnesotalakes.com/

The big stone fireplaces and the stone walls on the outside steps were the things I remember most.  Grandad's Rose Lake cottage  was built in the early 1920's and  is still there and still in the family.  All my cousins own homes on various lakes.....Loon, Detroit, Melissa , Rose Making a another visit soon  is on my bucket list, to recall wonderful teenage summers as a guest of my aunts and uncles, and to catch up with distant family.

Melt 1/2 lb butter, add 1 medium onion, sliced, and 1/2 green pepper, sliced, cook til softened. Remove from pan. Dust 2 lb walleye or other white fish fillets with nutmeg, place in the same pan on low heat. When the flesh sets, turn and cover with the veggies. Cook about 4 more minutes, add 1/2 tsp salt. 1/4 tsp pepper, and 2 cups half and half cream. Simmer another 4 minutes.

Uncle Ed liked the sauce served over potatoes.